2014 ISPE Facility of the Year Award Banquet Celebrated the “Best of the Best”
There was an air of excitement as guests of the Facility of the Year (FOYA) Banquet gathered during a reception before the start of the 2014 ISPE FOYA Award Ceremony. The banquet opened with remarks from Nancy Berg, ISPE President and CEO and Lawrence Yu, PhD, Acting Director, Office of Pharmaceutical Science, FDA. Both Berg and Yu expressed that although this is a challenging time for the pharmaceutical industry, they were excited to be celebrating the best of the best during the evening’s award banquet. Jim Breen, 2014 Facility of the Year Awards Panel Chair and Vice President, Worldwide Engineering-Technical Operations, Johnson and Johnson opened the awards portion of the evening by stating the importance of recognizing innovation and creativity in the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industry. He said, “This ceremony is proof that the vibrant biologics and pharmaceutical industry is advancing and investing in the latest technology and concepts to support our products and customers, the patients.” Breen continued by recognizing and thanking the following seven-panel judging team who represent years of engineering experience on projects constructed across the globe:
- Jim Breen, Vice President, Worldwide Engineering-Technical Operations, Johnson and Johnson
- Charles (Chaz) Calitri, Vice President, Global Engineering, Pfizer, Inc.
- Chris Chen, Phd, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Biologics, Wuxi AppTec Co. Ltd.
- Brian Lange, PE, Executive Director, Global Supply Chain, Merck & Co., Inc.
- Sanjit Singh Lamba PhD, Managing Director and Head of Global Procurement Strategy, Eisai Pharmatechnology and Manufacturing
- Andrew Skibo, Regional Vice President, Biologics-Supply, Medlmmune/AstraZeneca
- Ronald Trudeau, Vice President, Facilities Engineering, Baxter Healthcare Corporation
He followed by acknowledging the dedication and commitment of the following FOYA Committee members:
- Dave DiProspero, CRB Consulting Engineers
- Kelly Keen, Genentech
- Larry Kranking, Commissioning Agents
- Bob Matje, Endo/Qualitest Pharmaceuticals
- Kate McCorriston, IPS
- Jim McGlade, DHP Architecture
- Shannah Schodle, CRB Consulting Engineers
Recognizing each of the winning facilities, Breen gave a brief description of the exemplary work of the winners and brought a representative from each onstage to accept their awards and offer his congratulations for their achievements. “All award-winning projects were chosen as best-in-class for leading technological innovation worldwide, in order to fulfill our important mission of delivering quality medications that address patient’s needs while ensuring increased access, affordability and reliability of product supply,” announced Breen. For a full list of winners, visit FOYA’s website.
The 2014 Overall Facility of the Year Award Winner will be announced during the ISPE Annual Meeting in Las Vegas Nevada, 12 to 15 October.
We will begin accepting submissions for the 2015 Awards Program on 9 June 2014. Visit ISPE.org for more information.